Distracted? Worried? Bored? Noticing body sensations and adding helpful directions is an easy way to coax yourself into better postural habits and an easy way to come back to the present moment.
From time to time during the day, ask yourself these questions:
What am I doing with my shoulders?
- Am I scrunching?
- Can I do a little less?
- What happens if I imagine my shoulder muscles melting like butter in a pan?
- What happens if I imagine the collar bones like two arrows pointing apart?
How am I standing on my feet?
- How does standing change if I pay attention to the soles of my feet?
- How does my breath change when I consciously relax my feet?
- Can I sense the distance between my feet and the top of my head?
You might find yourself subtly expanding upward just by noticing the distance between your feet and head.
Body Project Blog: Where Thought is the Active Ingredient.